Rice is a great cheap starch to use as the base of a meal. Here I use it in a salad. I happen to like black and red rice as well as brown rice. They both have a lovely nutty flavour and chewy texture that seems to work well in salads. Just avoid the highly polished white rice which has had all the good stuff removed.
I’m not going to give precise quantities as this is a recipe you can vary based on who you are cooking for. I like the idea of this as one of a number of salads on a buffet table or taken to what the Americans call a “pot luck” when everyone takes a dish to share.
As I say I used Carmargue Red http://www.merchant-gourmet.com/products/cereals-grains/camargue-red-rice/
Once cooked and cooled, I added:
– Thawed Frozen Sweetcorn (to thaw place in a sieve and pour over cold water, drain).
– Red Onion finely chopped
– Celery finely chopped
– 1 Can of Red Kidney Beans (rinsed and drained)
– Yellow Pepper finely chopped
– Pecan Nuts (optional but give a nice crunch)
– A good slosh of oil free vinaigrette Recipe for Vinaigrette
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix and add vinaigrette dressing. Allow flavours to develop for 30 mins if you have time.
I served mine as part of a combo salad on a bed of spinach with a spicy carrot salad, a Kale Cerviche salad and some hummus and biscuits.